Skip to Chinese Vision

www.ccagr.com

Narrow screen resolution Wide screen resolution Increase font size Decrease font size Default font size   
Canada-China Agriculture, Food Development Excahnge Centre
You are here: Home
Skip to Chinese Vision

Our Experience

Our Experience

Our Prime & Your Opportunities

Receive Our Newsletter

please subscribe your email here 
 

Contact Us

 facebook twitter

Canada

E-mail:     

This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

Skype: ccagrcanada 

Tel:  

416 642 3890

Fax:

289-965-0998

Address:

Suite 1003,150 Main Street West

Hamilton, ON  L8P 1H8

China:

E-mail:

This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

Tel:

010-57153838

Fax:

010-68499208

Address:

Suite 2108,

1 Zhongguancun

South Street,

Beijing, China

Login Form






Lost Password?
No account yet? Register

header-expo.jpg

China's Goat Industry Print E-mail

  

China’s Goat Industry

 

China is home to more than 140 million goats. The goat industry can be broken down into 3 categories: dairy goats, meat goats, and cashmere goats. The 3 types of industries can expect low investment costs, low output and a long production cycle.

Similar to other industries, China has small backyard farmers as well as large goat operations. Small farmers tend to keep their goats near their household and feed them corn plant through fence line feeders. The goats also have an outside loafing area to graze and wander. Larger farm scale operations keep their goats in brick buildings with concrete floors. While their housing confines them, large-scale farmers feed their goats corn silage, hay and grain. This proves to be a better balanced nutrition than small scale farmers can afford.  

China’s goat industry competes in 4 production areas in the market: meat, goatskin, milk, and cashmere. 
Meat Production

China is home to more than 100 million meat goats. Farmers produce a total output of more than 1.5 million tons annually. Most of the meat produced is consumed by the nation while little is exported on the world market.
 
Goatskin Production

The production of goatskins is similar to the meat goat industry. China produces more than 300,000 tons of goatskin a year, making them the world leader in export. China’s goatskins are renowned for their high economic value and exquisite quality. 
 
Milk Production

China has more than 4 million milk goats in production across the country. Unfortunately due to low utilization and processing ability, China is experiencing a limitation in goat milk products. Only 30% of the output is used for fresh milk consumption while the other 70% is for powder milk production.

Cashmere Production

The output of cashmere in China is more than 11,700 tons annually. Of all the goat products China exports, cashmere products hold top rank at approximately 60% of global trade. Unfortunately, demand for cashmere products are dependent upon fluctuations in price in the international market.

 

One of the major problems facing China’s goat industry deals with the enormous herd sizes of cashmere producing goats. Cashmere goats have grazed much of China’s grasslands down to nothing causing severe dust storms and pollution issues. Better management practices are needed in order to control this problem.

 

                        goats feeding in China 

 

Left: Shearing Cashmere goats Right: Milking goats 

 

If you or your company is interested in getting involved with China’s goat industry or want to export your goat products, please contact us at This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it . The CCAgr can act as your intercontinental business development team or as corporate consultants to assist your organization in finding the best solutions to your challenges and in developing strategies to meet your organization’s goals.